Do you ever feel like something is wrong with your marriage? Maybe things just feel off, and you can’t quite put your finger on it. Maybe you’re worried that you’re too close to the situation to see all of the signs and red flags that may be obvious to someone on the outside.
If your spouse is going to file for divorce, it can help you to know about it in advance. You can take steps like gathering the paperwork that you’re going to need or canceling joint credit accounts in favor of personal ones. You can also just begin to think about your goals for the divorce, which can help tremendously when planning your strategies.
With all of that in mind, you may want to watch for these 8 signs that your spouse wants to end things:
- You start to argue about everything. It feels like you can’t even suggest a TV show to watch without it turning into an argument.
- You stop arguing entirely. This seems counter-intuitive, compared to the above, but the change is still worth noting. Did they give up arguing because they know they’re going to leave?
- They start hanging out with other people and not with you. Maybe you even feel like they’re avoiding you on purpose.
- Their appearance starts to change. Maybe they start dressing better or losing weight. Are they preparing to be single again?
- They stop talking about things that used to be family-based plans. Why don’t they care about planning that vacation or deciding how to finance a new roof? It’s because they no longer think they’ll be there.
- They never dealt with the money before, but now they start asking questions. They could be doing their own divorce research.
- They start talking to people you don’t know or hiding their phone screen from you. This could be nothing, but it could indicate that they’ve already found a new partner.
- The romance leaves your relationship entirely. You can’t even remember the last time you acted like you were in love.
If you have seen these signs, it could mean it’s time to start thinking about divorce. Be sure you are well aware of the steps you’ll need to take.